The decision to replace your aging HVAC system is a tough one, especially for your wallet. An inefficient system uses excess amounts of energy, which causes your monthly power bills to skyrocket. A new HVAC system can solve the energy problems but when it comes to certain systems, efficiency is higher than others.
It’s important to know the different energy ratings for Atlanta home air systems to reduce energy usage and spend less monthly on power.
What is an Energy Rating?
HVAC energy ratings help homeowners in multiple ways including helping them make a decision whether or not to replace their current HVAC system. Many systems are decades old and are the epitome of inefficient and with this rating system, you’ll be able to identify inefficiency.
Another benefit of an energy rating is the ability to compare different HVAC systems to determine which system will save you more in monthly power bills and use less energy.
Cooling Efficiency Measurement
SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) measures cooling efficiency for air conditioners and the cooling portion of heat pumps. The higher the SEER, the more energy efficient your system is when it’s in operation. You’ll use less energy and save more in the process all by having a unit with a higher energy rating.
The ideal SEER for an A/C unit is between 13-20. If your unit has a SEER of eight or below, replacement is crucial to save energy and money. Choosing to upgrade your system from a SEER of eight to SEER of 13-15 will save you big on monthly power bills.
Heating Efficiency Measurements
HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) is used to measure the heating efficiency of a heat pump. The higher the HSPF rating, the more efficient your heat pump system is and the more you’ll save during the winter while heating your home.
If your heating system has a HSPF rating of 7.7 or below, it’s important to begin searching for a replacement system. The ideal rating for a heat pump system is around 10.
Another measurement is AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) which measures gas or oil furnace efficiency in converting fuel to energy. The higher this rating, the more efficient your unit is and the more money you’ll save. Unlike HSPF, this measurement is identified by a percentage. If your furnace has an AFUE rating of 60 percent, the other 40 percent of fuel is wasted during the conversion process.
Ideal percentage ratings are between 80 percent and 98 percent. If your home furnace system has a rating below 50 percent, you need to consider replacement.
Higher Energy Ratings in Atlanta with Anytime HVAC
Spending thousands of dollars on a new HVAC system may sound overwhelming but the savings is enough to make the investment worth it. Anytime HVAC will help you find the ideal energy rating for your system to help you save energy and money.
Contact Anytime Heating, Cooling and Plumbing at (770) 504-588 for more information on which systems are best for your home!